Worth Sharing: UCOMM Snares Six CASE Awards
The following is a listing of professional achievements by Chico State faculty, staff, and students. Submit your professional achievements to email@example.com.
Awards, Honors, and Activities
University Communications Council was recognized by the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) with six Best of District VII Awards.
- In the Communications—Digital Campaigns category, Miciah Garcia and Rose Duncan were recognized for their work on Branded Templates for Instagram Stories, collaborating to create seven easily replicable, on-brand Instagram story templates that have been wildly successful in engaging with audiences and driving awareness of University events, stories, and announcements.
- In the Design—Specialty Pieces category, Ashley Gebb and Geoff Wintrup collaborated to create the 2023 University Calendar, a specialty piece for donors to build affinity and create a lasting brand presence with an asset that is used year-round by producing a high-quality wall calendar.
- In the Writing—Profile category, Gebb saved the day—and our magazine! When the cover story for the fall 2022 issue of Chico Statements fell through two weeks before the magazine went to press, she scrambled to find a suitable alternative and ended up writing a richly detailed and multifaceted story about our interior architecture students’ work to design floorplans for homes to be rebuilt in the Camp Fire footprint—the result was Reimagining What Home Looks Like.
- In the Photography—Individual category, Jason Halley was challenged to photograph students at work in a lab where researchers are cooling atoms to near absolute zero, nearly freezing them in space so they display their true quantum nature. The result was The Coolest Place on Campus, which also recently earned Halley CSU Photograph of the Year accolades.
In the Photography—Individual category, Halley once again came through with Graduating Streamers and Screamers. As the last few graduates crossed the Commencement stage in May 2022, just before the moment of tassel turns and cap tosses, Halley pulled three grads into the aisle so when the president wished grads “a heartfelt and hearty congratulations,” he could snap this perfect image.
- In the Writing—News/Feature Series/Collection category, Sean Murphy produced a powerful, intimate, and inspirational five-part story titled Promoting Achievement Through Hope—Profile Series on PATH Scholars. Murphy focused on the individuals in our campus program that serves the specialized needs of students who identify as current and former foster youth or unaccompanied homeless as minors.
Chico State volleyball player Brooke Ono closed out her collegiate playing career with an Honorable Mention recognition by the California Collegiate Athletic Association.
Junior agriculture education major Hannah Andres earned her American Future Farmers of America (FFA) degree at this year’s 96th National FFA Convention and Expo.
Three members of the Chico State men’s soccer team earned 2023 CCA Division II West Region honors. Emanuel Padilla was named to the First Team, while Adrian Fontanelli and Preston Moll both received Second Team accolades.